Friday, September 11, 2009

Sept 11th Tribute to Twin Towers

I just spent two days in Atlanta and flew into San Francisco early this afternoon. When I booked the flight a month ago and I gave no consideration to the date. In fact, I went through most of the day not giving a thought to the fact that today is September 11th, just 8 years to the day after one of the worst terrorist attacks against the US. In fact, I read through a newspaper this morning and didn't even see a mention of that horrible event. I was in a cab heading to the airport when I suddenly realized the significance of the date.

Obviously it was a horrible day for all those affected in so many ways. Many people in the air and on the ground lost their lives on 9-11. Many more felt great loss by knowing them. The rest of us felt... well scared! For ourselves, our families and the unknown of what was really happening and what might happen next. Many of us lost huge sums of money (on paper) as the markets took a huge hit afterwards. Looking at it now, it was more of a blip compared to what we've been dealt in the last year.

Having my private pilot's license has meant that when I travel I always get a window seat. Sorry kids, but you get the isle with mommy. I LOVE the view out the window. Prior to 9-11 I had often been able to sit in the jumpseat in the cockpit. The "office" has the best view of all. I didn't care how uncomfortable the seat was compared to the business seat I paid for, if the captain allowed me up I was there. Unfortunately no-one gets to do that these days.

A memory I've always had flying into New York was seeing the twin towers of the World Trade Center. I remember walking, coffee in hand, past the twin towers and staring up in awe at the tremendous height of the buildings and thinking "wow!" Not much else I can say to describe something that I wish I could show my kids one day, but can't. That day shook the city, the country and I believe the world too. It was something to see on TV, hear on the news and see pictures of even. But having been there live and to now know they are gone seems as unbelievable as snow in Vegas, but that happened too.

I miss looking down at those 110 story buildings that stood for over 30 years as a monument to the area of Lower Manhattan. It is still an amazing city and I still enjoy going there, but it was a big loss that I doubt we will ever forget.

6 comments:

  1. That is day that we will never forget. I will always remember where I was and the fear that we felt. Amazing that is was 8 years ago. Seems not that long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a day we will remember. Your article got me thinking. Did I lose more money in the markets just after
    1. Bush was elected (and when we didn't know who won Bush/vs/Gore),
    2. September 11, 2001 (911), or
    3. The recent credit crunch?

    All three kind of wiped out a large part of any gains. Even real estate gains took a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point. There was obviously a huge impact on many people who knew people that died. Even for those not living in NY felt scared and it was all over the news.

    AND the fact that so many people were adversely affected financially too. I remember the markets totally crashed and it took a while for things to recover.

    I never had the chance to see the twin towers and up until 9-11 had no real desire to. But now, I wish I had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the event shook the world. Even in remote Perth, Western Australia, the TV show I was viewing stopped to cross live to New York the moment the reports started to be televised.

    I felt sick to the stomach, and knew the world as we knew it would never be the same again. Our hearts ached for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nicely put Noella,

    I would like to think the world would help out any country victim to such a terrible thing, as the US was oh so fortunate to so many countries for their help and compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As the dust of the day sttled into brain that fateful day, the only thing I was able to do with any coherency was to open the back panel of my fathers casket flag, Iron it smooth, and fashion a flag staff from which to fly it from my daughter's second story bedroom window.
    That single act steeled my resolve to get my seabag packed and head off to work that night to embark in U.S.S. BATAAN(LHD-5) and sail into harm's way to exact revenge upon our new declared enemy.

    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can still read it in English, you're welcome.
    Deskpilot, AM(H)1, (AW), USN(Ret)

    ReplyDelete