Monday, September 14, 2009

Patrick Swayze (1952-2009)

Ok this might be a little off topic but since my last article was a tribute to the twin towers in Manhattan, I thought it seemed appropriate to honor a great actor who passed away today. Patrick Swayze was a bit older than me, but I watched many of his movies as a late teenager and enjoyed them very much.


Mr. Swayze was also a private pilot, a link I shared with him, and he would fly himself around the country. I recall many years ago being on the same frequency as him when he was flying into Bellingham, Washington, and I was flying a crappy plane full of crappy cargo from Bellingham to Seattle. His aircraft identification ended in the letters PS, for his initials. He was flying a small twin engined piston aircraft. Nothing fancy like a Boeing 707 or G5 like John Travolta would fly, but still a respectable mode of transportation.

A few memorable acting moments that come off the top of my mind are: Point Break, Red Dawn, Dirty Dancing and a Saturday Night Live skit where he played opposite Farley - one of the funniest things I've ever seen!

RIP Patrick!

1 comment:

  1. One of the first and most memorable movies I remember him being in was "The Outsiders," which I remember thinking was a great movie. There was also "ghost" where he played opposite Whoopi Goldberg but that wasn't one of my favourites.

    Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete